Saturday 16 November 2019

The "Land Dory".....

It started out as just a crazy idea that flitted through my mind one day this past Summer. My Snow Bear utility trailer was sitting in my driveway, half filled with debris for the landfill, and it occurred to me that I could use it for another purpose than to collect junk and garbage. That wears a little thin after a while, and does nothing for curb appeal as well. So, I started the project on Labour Day, and got it completed on the outside by Thanksgiving Day, approximately 6 weeks later. The part that sits down in the bed of the trailer, is pressure treated plywood, and the upper cladding is Western Red Cedar. Both materials stand up to the elements extremely well. The cedar boards were put through my table saw, and turned into Ship Lap siding. It has 2 coats of Spar Urethane, to help protect it from the elements. Since I had always wanted to build a boat, but for whatever reason it never happened, I decided that an appropriate name for the camper would be my "Land Dory", being that it was built with a trip to Newfoundland in mind. However, before that extended trip, it will likely be doing a few trips up to Marten River Provincial Park, and Restoule Prov. Park, and also likely Findlayson Point Prov. Park in Temagami, Ont.. So stay tuned Mike in North Bay, we will see you in the Summer.....Cheers!....

P.S. Since Western Red Cedar is so light compared to other wood materials, I am able to single handed move it about the driveway with not much effort. Also, it is a "slide in" unit, and has 8 wheels built into the under framing, which enables me to roll it off the trailer should I need to haul gravel, or some other objects. The folks at Services Ontario informed me that it requires no registration as it is considered to be "cargo" or load. I checked on that before starting the build..... however the lighting will all conform to Federal Trailer specs, and is next on my to do list to hook up.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous09:31:00

    I've posted comments but your site doesn't post them.????

    John Minkowskyj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous09:32:00

    There it did!

    J. Minko

    ReplyDelete
  3. No reason it should not show up John...not sure what the problem is....Dave

    ReplyDelete