Sunday 25 October 2020

Hierarchy of Musical Instruments.....

It has been quite some time since I last posted anything, and in the meanwhile, it seems that the powers that be in Blogger, has decided to "improve" the whole set up. As a result, I am no longer able to wrap text around an image, which saves a lot of space. The new improved version is extremely clumsy to use, in my opinion, and it appears that a lot of other folks using this set up feels the same. Anyway, I will try to make some sense of it for now. This little image was originally done in colour, but tonight, I decided to revisit it, and do a Black & White version of it, which seems to work well for me. The instruments are stacked, with the violin/fiddle sitting above the guitar. I have heard a lot of really great guitar playing in my day, but there is nothing sweeter to my ear than a well played violin. So it gets top berth. Then off to the side is a button (diatonic) accordion, which I rather enjoy playing either solo, or with a group. The "button" accordion is either loved or loathed, and I started to play it when I was around 8 years old, and still learning..... It has been said that the accordion was invented so that the Scottish bagpipers would have something to look down upon, or sneer at.....whatever, it doesn't matter. It might be on the bottom of the heap, but let me tell you, when you hook it up to a 600 watt speaker system, add a little reverb, then lean into some good old time East coast or Irish tunes, it just blows the roof off of whatever pub you are playing in....however, if you really would like to hear the true richness of the thing, you have to hear it played in a large church with the wonderful acoustics therein...oooohh yeah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment